Recently, we announced a significant expansion and improvement of Helium In-App Bidding, where mobile app developers can now access new demand partners through a hybrid setup. Beyond adding new demand partners, we’re excited to share several new features in Helium that will help mobile app developers maximize ad revenue including A/B testing, Flat CPM Line Items, and Auto CPM. In this post, we’ll deep dive into each and how they can help you monetize better and earn more revenue.
“In three weeks of testing Helium, our overall CPM increased by 46%, and our CPM from Chartboost grew by 53%.”
— Luke Chung, Business Manager at CookApps
One-click A/B testing – get highest performing monetization setup
As a mobile app developer, you’re most likely already familiar with running A/B testing for your games to optimize the ad experience or gameplay. The same principles apply with A/B testing in Helium, where you want to test different monetization setup on your traffic to see which setup provides the highest revenue.
A/B Testing Use Cases
There are several use cases where you want to apply A/B testing:
- Test bidding performance vs. non-bidding mediated performance
- Test the addition of a new demand partner
- Test Flat CPM line item setup on your waterfall
A pain point with some A/B testing is that it can be time-consuming to set up, but not on Helium. Once you have your placements added, it’s as easy as just clicking on a toggle to enable A/B testing for your placement. To maximize your revenue, we recommend to run an A/B test where you have a hybrid setup of bidding + waterfall on Control Group (A) and waterfall only in Test Group (B). The traffic will automatically be split on 50/50.
By running proper A/B testing, you can rest assured that you know exactly which configuration would optimize your revenue. On the Helium dashboard, you can get this set up in minutes.
Waterfall with Flat CPM Line Items – Add Chartboost to bidding and waterfall
In Helium, Chartboost demand can be added as both a real-time bidding partner as well as a mediated network in the waterfall which will drive increased competition for your impressions.
Flat CPM Line Items Use Cases
To raise your overall CPMs and maximize revenue, we recommend setting up Flat CPM Line Items on the Helium dashboard with Chartboost and other available mediated networks.
- Set a minimum of 5 Chartboost locations in low, medium, and high price points where Chartboost demand is looking for different quality inventory.
- Have a wide range in CPM price distribution where the distribution is equally important as the number of locations. A range between $0.5 to $40 is better than $1 to $20.
- Keep similar amounts of locations and price points for each mediated network to balance your setup and maximize competition in your waterfall.
Auto CPM – Auto-maximize CPM and save time
With the new Auto CPM feature on Helium, mobile app developers can let Chartboost maximize revenue for every single impression. Using a combination of real performance data and intelligent predictive systems, Chartboost will automatically update the network CPM in real-time to provide you with the highest possible CPM for every impression.
We recommend that you enable Auto CPM for each mediated network in every ad group. In the Helium dashboard, you’ll be able to monitor the performance per line item and make changes to your waterfall accordingly.
Auto CPM Use Cases
- Auto CPM can be set for each line item in the waterfall which will automate the optimization process to provide higher CPMs and never less than your Flat CPM.
- Receive full transparency into the CPMs you’re receiving for each impression.
The above features and many more are available on Helium today! Start testing Helium’s performance and lightweight SDK in one of your apps and experience the white-glove support from the Chartboost team. From day one, you’ll have direct communication channels with the Chartboost team from product, business, and technical support to troubleshoot any issues and ensure that you start seeing ad revenue coming in immediately from all demand partners.