It?s time for one of our favorite part of the year, GDC (Game Developers Conference)! Your agenda is probably jam-packed with parties and meetings. Nonetheless, we?d love to share our top 10 experiences in one of our favorite cities, San Francisco, which is also where the Chartboost HQ is! Experience everything from our favorite scenic views, happy hours, local coffee shops, art scene and more.
Each and every year the gaming universe descends upon the Moscone Center in San Francisco for GDC (Game Developer?s Conference). It brings in more than 25,000 attendees from all over the world each year and, for that one week, is the hub of all things gaming.
1. Walk or bike across the Golden Gate Bridge
A lot of people will tell you that driving it is fine, and it is, but for the real experience you?ll want to hop on a bike or stroll across our nation?s most iconic bridge. If your legs still have some energy, continue your excursion until you get to Sausalito. If walking or biking is not your thing, you can also get to Sausalito with the ferry, see our 2nd experience. Directions.?
2. Visit San Francisco ferry building and take the ferry to Sausalito
Although Sausalito is technically not part of San Francisco, this cute little marine city is only 30-min boat ride away. The ferry leaves from San Francisco Ferry Building which is another site attraction itself with local food merchants such as Blue Bottle Coffee, Cowgirl Creamery, Dandelion Chocolate, Fort Point Beer and many more.
The bridge you see behind the ferry building is the Bay Bridge in which a lot of people commonly mistaken it for Golden Gate Bridge. By the entrance of ferry building you also have Gott?s Roadside in which you can order any burger with an Impossible Burger patty, a plant-based meat-like patty that is only available in the US. Find ferry schedule to Sausalito here. Once in Sausalito, stroll around this marine town and head to Bar Bocce for a drink, a restaurant with its own beach right by the patio! ?
3. Stay caffeinated with local coffee brands
Second, only to Seattle, San Francisco has a ton of coffee shops around town created by local third-wave coffee brands that focus on the artisanal production of coffee. These are all local coffee brands that you should try out with directions to their closest shop around Moscone Center:
4. Hike the Lands End Trail
Take a moment to get away from the stress of GDC and take an Uber or Lyft out to the coast of San Francisco. Hike Lands End trail for a gorgeous view of the Pacific Ocean and the Golden Gate Bridge, and take the moment to breathe in that fresh ocean air. Directions. ?
5. A Robotic Food Experience
San Francisco is one of the most technologically advanced hubs of the world but it might not be very obvious as you set your foot here. One of the most visible customer-facing technology advancements has happened within food retail, below are a few ?robotic? experiences you should try out (bullish or bearish)!
- Creator, visit one of the first robotic burger restaurants. The entire burger is made by a robot, and you can see it making it! It?s only a 5-min walk from the Moscone center.
- Eatsa, a robot-facing restaurant where there is no human interaction between ordering your food to picking it up. There are no seatings at Eatsa and is made to-go only. ?
- Cafe-X, a robotic coffee bar as they describe it, which is a coffee machine plus a robot arm giving you the coffee.??
- Amazon Go, a food shopping experience without lines and check-outs.
6. Our favorite happy hours in the city centre!
Scheduling a ton of meetings in town, but don?t know where to meet? What?s better than meeting over drinks and light food before all the evening parties start! Below is a list of our favorite happy hour places carefully vetted by our foodie Chartboosters! Click on each to find their happy hour menu.
- Trailblazer Tavern, 3pm-6pm, Hawaiian food, table reservation available.
- E&O Kitchen, 3pm-6pm, Asian food, bar only.
- Delarosa, 4pm-6pm, Italian American food, bar and patio only.
- La Mar, 3pm-6pm, Peruvian food.
- Pabu, 3pm-6pm, Japanese food, bar and lounge only.
7. Scenic View at Twin Peaks
If the night is clear, grab a coat and a bottle of wine, hop in a cab and see the view from the top of Twin Peaks. Directions.?
8. California Academy of Sciences and Arts
Just around the corner of Moscone Center is SF MOMA for those who want to spark their creative thinking or just love art!
10. Come and visit Chartboost
Our brand new office is at 1 Sansome Street, just 10 minutes away from GDC. Come meet with a Chartbooster 1-on-1 to discuss how we can partner. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a meeting!