In this episode of The Business of Fun podcast, Mehmet Umut Ermeç, Co-Founder & CEO at Tiplay Studio, joins our own Jonathan Fishman to discuss the impact of artificial intelligence (AI) on the gaming industry. They explore how AI is being used in game development, the potential for AI to enhance creativity, and future possibilities for AI in game production.
00:00 / Intro
03:50 / The success of the Turkish gaming industry
08:31 / The future of the game industry
13:48 / How AI-powered tools are shaping the game sector
20:10 / Utilizing of AI by various professionals in other fields
32:25 / The need for regulating AI
“Instead of fearing job displacement, we should focus on upskilling and leveraging AI to enhance our productivity and create new possibilities in the gaming industry. Embracing AI can lead to career growth and increased efficiency in various domains.”
— Mehmet Umut Ermeç, Co-Founder and CEO at Tiplay Studio
- The Turkish gaming industry has encountered significant success, which can be attributed to having a strong foundation in the technology ecosystem, an adaptation of trending AI technologies, and knowing the right time to cash out on projects. The large labor market of Turkish people willing to transition to the sector providing the required manpower needed at a cheaper cost also factors in.
- Many people are scared of losing their jobs to the present influx of AI, but the truth is, these technologies won’t replace professionals; rather, they make the work easier and faster for professionals. In the gaming sector, hundreds of hours of video editing can be done in a short amount of time using AI.
- To explain the input of AI technologies, look at the film industry, which is smaller. A director can use an AI tool as an assistant, set how the movie should look, and let AI produce results faster. The director needs only to remove the parts not required to arrive at a finished result much more quickly.
- Some startups are converting ideas into games using only AI technology. This leads to earning money with less effort, as the required brainstorming can be carried out by the technology.
- AI technology is constantly surpassing all expectations in the gaming industry as, unlike in the past, people without technical know-how can now make their games as long as they have an idea they believe can sell. One can use AI tools to convert illustrations to 3D models, text to models, text to animation, and so much more.
- A company can generate ads based on current trends using AI, specifically focusing on creatives such as 12-second videos. These videos are then tested with a $50 budget each per campaign. The goal is to achieve a low cost per install (CPI) of around 25¢ by leveraging the power of AI to create highly engaging and effective ad creatives that can drive user acquisition for various apps or products. Without being associated with a specific game, these generated videos can be sold to publishers looking for compelling ad content. Publishers can then bid on these videos, offering different amounts, such as $1,000 or $2,000, in a free market environment. The scalability of this approach is a key advantage. Since the generation and testing of these AI-generated videos can be done extensively and repeatedly, there is no limit to the number of campaigns that can be run, and this allows for continuous optimization and refinement of the ads to achieve the best possible CPI.
- The future of gaming looks bright. Even though AI tools might be vehemently opposed by the older generation — including highly skilled individuals, executives, and industry veterans — the younger generation is more likely to adopt it. Doing so would make the work easier and supply data to make the process much easier and more efficient.
- AI technology, however, should be regulated because, while it has its advantages, there are worrisome disadvantages as well. Considering that AI-powered tools can generate audio, some individuals may exploit this capability by attempting to manipulate famous figures. If not handled with caution, this has the potential to lead to many significant issues.
- Data is a very sensitive aspect of gaming. Some startups are out to steal data from successful games to replicate and sell to the public. This could be worrisome as it could reduce your revenue and create unnecessary competition, leading to gaming industry issues. Therefore, the necessity for regulations is vital.